l'aventure africaine

our travel journal

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Time is moving quickly...

First of all, I want to say we love you guys very much. Thank you for your comments and e-mails and letters (and Prince Valiant comics...). :) We are very lucky to have you and you totally make our day and make us laugh tons.


We're back again… we’re in our seminar site just for about 4 days and then we’re heading back to our community based training sites. Everything is happening so fast! We go back in 4 days and are there for about 6 days and then…the big moment…we’ll find out our site placement -- where we’ll be living for the next two years!!! We’ll find out the vital statistics of our community, the next day we’ll have “mid-term” language interviews, and the following day we’ll take a week and travel to our new sites and check out the situation. It is so unbelievably close and I think we’re really excited and a little nervous. More traveling and finding out exactly what we’re going to be up to during our service… :)

Our CBT was a really good experience this time-- not that it wasn’t last time! Our language is just getting better. Not good, mind you. :) Just better. We can conjugate verbs now in the present tense, so we don’t have to say, “Now, he went to the store,” (because the infinitive of verbs in Darija is he in the past tense…) instead of, “Now, we need to go to the store.” We all feel like we are learning so slowly, but when you look at where we were a week ago, or two weeks ago, it’s kind of amazing! There is something new and big to learn each day, which is sometimes overwhelming, but you get to go home and use right away which is FUN and the pace keeps us on our toes and motivated.

Here’s some pics, and we’ll keep you posted!



Here's Michael and our host brother Azdine (my spelling is a little interpretive, I only know how to write it in Arabic script...)



Here's a picture of our whole host family, except for our host grandma.



Here's an action shot of us hanging out on the patio, shelling peas, or whatever it is you call taking peas out of pea pods!

One last thing, please keep your thoughts and prayers with the Rustads because Baby Ru is coming any minute now! (I'm really excited!) Although...I'm a little behind the loop, understandably, so really...Baby Ru could be here...but keep them in your thoughts anyways please?

Oh, and remember Jevan, nobody puts Baby in a corner. :)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Baby Ru has yet to put in an appearance! He/she is only a week late, LOL. I will send you an e-mail as soon as anything happens (well, actually, Jon will probably send it--or a flip-flopper ;) ). We do appreciate the thoughts and prayers!

Sounds like you're doing a lot of traveling--I'm so excited for you to find out where you're going to live!

Jevan...thanks for the baby name suggestion. I had totally forgotten about Francis, LOL! You won't be mad if I use if for my baby, right? ;)

"Daytime, nightime any hour; whether rain or shine. Games, and lectures, jokes, and music, happily combined. So join hands, and hearts, and voices; voices, hearts, and hands! At Kellerman's the friendships last long as the mountain stands."

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola from Peru. I am looking at your blog site from Trujillo. I am sure Francis will be a fine name for anybody, but never realized how partial Jev and Chelsea were to it. Bob wants to know how to say "Baby" in Swahili.

We are excited to learn where you will be permanently stationed. What are the names of the family you have been staying with for the interim?
Love, Dad R

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We loved the pictures. I can just imagine the excitement of finding out your "permanent" location. I remember the first time we saw Lamdlag. It seemed like the trip was so-o-o-o long because of the horrible bumps and the excitement. It did eventually get shorter - in like 20 years when they started paving the road! :-) Where has the time gone that you are having your mid-term language interviews already? Glad you are making progress. It is really great to be able to use what you learn right away -- a big help to language learning.

We miss both of you, but are glad you are having a good time. Mike (I know you really care about this next bit of news, Jana :-)) the Twins won last night in extra innings!

All our love, Dad and Mom

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome is it that on one blog entry there are three continents represented?!?!

The internet is so cool. :)

P.S. I put up ultrasound pictures from yesterday on my blog if anyone wants to see them!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kids,
Awesome pics! Your host family looks really nice. I imagine it will be hard to leave them and move on to a new place. Just think of the lives that have touched yours already and you haven't been there all that long. Chelsea, I really think you should reconsider Francis:) an adorable little baby might not appreciate that name when she grows up, although maybe she'd be an excellent dancer. Take care all!

Mom R.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't looked @ the site in a few weeks & was suprised to have missed so much.
Like everyone else I am curious to know where you will be living for the next 2 years. I have been working continually (every weekend) on Trevor to commit to a visit - at least now he isn't say NO. (maybe he quit listening to me - guys don't do that??)
Lots of love
T&S

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jana and Mike--I am excited for you in your adventures and activites. I mention you two to grandpa every now and then so he has some reference for you in his life. I have heard an occasional comment when I do to let me know he knew what I said and he is proud of you two.
The pcitures on your site help us to have reference for where you are and what is taking place as well. Great Job. jean

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KBKJ said...
Jana,

I know you won't get this for a few days, but it just felt wrong not to write since I called everyone else and talked to them this morning (Monday, 24th). I just talked to Chelsea about an hour ago...if you read her blog you will see that she began having contractions last night that got pretty stong around 11pm. They thought they were going to the hospital, but when she moved around a bit, they lightened up enough for her to sleep. This morning the contractions are still there, but light and further apart than last night. Andy and Tanya are there with them to watch Olivia when they do finally go to the hospital. She has a midwife appointment today at 4pm at which she was maybe going to be induced. She is hoping the the midwife will let her go a little longer on her own since she is having contractions. Maybe they will speed up today and she will be seeing her midwife to have the baby and not her regular appointment. I wish I could be talking to you rather than writing! We all miss you so much! We will let you know when we know!

love,
Karly

P.S. I posted this on the post before this one...sorry, I went down too far on the blog! :)

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I know you can get the update from Chelsea's blog when you get back, but again, after talking with both Jen and Steph this morning, I had to write to you.

Contractions became very irregular and light for Chelsea late morning yesterday. She went to her scheduled midwife appointment who said that she was dialated to 3, but her labor had stopped. She had another appointment for today for non-stress test to look at the baby, but contractions began for her again this morning about 2:30. She took a shower and Livi woke up to nurse about 6:30. After nursing for only a couple of minutes, Chelsea said the contrations got REALLY stong and fast. She called about 7:25 to tell me that they were on their way to the hospital and asking that I would spread the word! She sounded tired and ready to go. I hope things go quickly for her! She was a little concerned about the morning rush hour traffic they would be driving into on their way to the hospital.

I know that I said this yesterday, but we are all really missing you a lot right now and wish that you were here! Can't wait to hear from you when you get back!

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home